February is the time of the year when we suddenly find lesser variety of seasonal fruits. Apple is usually my must-eat fruit as it is one of most nutritious and it can be eaten in many different ways. You can eat it raw (with or without skin, depending on preference) or cooked. There is an easy recipe and healthy dessert that the French have all known since childhood: compote or applesauce.
Easy to prepare, applesauce is a fruit purée made from fresh or cooked apples with a light touch of cinnamon or sugar. This recipe has good nutritional values and real health virtues.
- 750g apples
- Half a lemon
- 50g sugar (optional)
- Half a teaspoon of sugar-vanilla or sugar-cinnamon mixture (optional)
1. Cut 750g apples into small pieces
2. Squeeze juice from lemon
3. Add some sugar (optional), lemon juice, one cup of water to the apples in a saucepan.
4. Heat up all ingredients at medium heat and keep stirring for 20 minutes or until the apples become mushy.
5. For smoother texture, blend it for a few seconds.
6. Serve either hot or chilled.
- This compote goes perfectly with rice pudding and pancakes, but also with pork – roasted or grilled.
- If you use unpeeled apples, extend the mixing time by a few seconds.
- If you like applesauce with chunks, reduce or eliminate the mixing time. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, or a sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Replace the apples with another fruit, like pear, or a fruit mixture.
Bon appétit! 🥣